Friday, June 27, 2008

How can we define art

Before I begin I'd like to note that the reader should not take my opinions on art as anything more than my late night ramblings. While I certainly have an opinion about it, I don't pretend to be correct or even comprehensive, I just thought that the paragraph on art that I left in my last entry could use some clarification and expansion. I think its an interesting topic that needs further review.

Ok, so what do I feel art is. After going to the Tate Modern Art Museum in London I am quite convinced that art has some type of universality to it. By this I mean you don't need to be an "artist" to make art. I will appreciate a Picasso just as much as I enjoy a picture my friend drew me (assuming I like both of them equally). But so if you don't need to be an artist to make art, than why is there a museum for Van Gogh and not for me. Well the answer is that we value art based on the evaluations of others. This bothers me in a number of ways. I find myself asking if I'm supposed to find the Mona Lisa exquisite (which, if you're curious, I don't) simply because most of the world's art experts think it is one of the greatest pieces ever done. I tend to think that a piece of art finds its value in how it makes me feel. If I look at a painting/sculpture/drawing/etc. and it produces a deep emotion in me than I will find it valuable. I feel the same emotions with certain aspects of the real world that I experience as well (for instance when I stare over the lake at my former camp). In the end the purpose of art is for people to try to reproduce reality in a way that makes us feel a certain way, because we like to feel.

I refuse to proof read or check this last paragraph. I have no idea if what I said makes any sense and quite frankly if it doesn't I don't care. I'm moving on.

Tomorrow is my last day in Leiden, and it is going to be busy. I have to go running, sell my bike, close my bank account, and then take a day trip to the east to have some fun. Pannekoeken for dinner and beers after. But most of my bags are packed and my room is clean, so I'm ready to leave. I think I'm also mentally ready to leave- I am looking forward to coming home as much as I was looking forward to coming to the Netherlands. I'm really glad that in that sense my life has come full circle.

Also, because I didn't mention it, my favorite painting is Van Gogh's The Bedroom. I like how it takes a simple reality and turns it into something to marvel at. I would never stare at my bedroom and see something interesting, but when I look at his painting I do. It makes me feel like the ordinary can become extraordinary, and if that is true than there is hope for me yet.

Ok, Top 5 Things I Can't Wait To Do When I Get Home
5. Watch a Mets game
4. Visit Camp
3. Sit on the porch on a Sunday with a beer and do absolutely nothing
2. La Familia Pizza
1. Friends

Be well

AC

No comments:


Me with Vader, you know, hanging out

Church in Brussels