Hello. So Rutgersfest got announced today back in Jersey, even though I've known the line-up for quite a while now. Anyway, Third Eye Blind is gonna rock, and I'm not going to be around to see it. Figures that the one year I'd go abroad Rutgersfest would be a decent show. I actually wouldn't have gotten smashed and passed out at 5 this year, I would have gone to the show and I'm sure I would have loved it.

Anyway, in honor of this whole missing Rutgersfest thing I've been listening to 3eb a lot. I had already heard just about every song when I was dating Liz, but since then I haven't heard them as much. The funny thing is, once I got a chance to listen to them at my own pace I actually started really enjoying them. There is no denying that Steven Jenkins is a brilliant lyricist, although sometimes I wonder about his musicianship. A lot of the songs sound the same, and he doesn't seem to be able to write about anything that isn't a horribly depressing situation, but he tends to be very good at it nonetheless. So here is my stream of conscience on 3eb, followed by my top 5 favorite 3eb songs.
Ok, I hate all of the radio played 3eb songs. They all tend to suck in my mind, and I honestly don't equate them with the rest of their music. Sometimes I wonder if they made those songs just to appease the studio label while they made their own stuff. So this means Semi-Charmed Life, Jumper, How's It Gonna Be, Graduate, Deep Inside of You, and Never Let You Go are completely out of contention. In fact, there is very little I like on their first album, expect for the fact that Motorcycle Drive-By is probably my favorite song of theirs. It reminds me of Molly because she put it on a CD for me when we were both really young, and its stuck with me ever since. The lyrics are brilliant, and the guitar is haunting. I like their album Blue because I think its less mainstream and they do more instrumentals. Out of the Vein is good, but a little manufactured. Also, whenever Steven Jenkins goes falsetto it tends to bother me, he really needs to do a better job of picking his spots with that. I love how I sound like I'm critiquing them, when they've obviously got something right (they are a major band and I'm a loser). So anyway, I guess I'll just get to the list.
Top 5 Favorite 3eb Songs
5. 10 Days Late- no symbolic importance on this one, its just an awesome song. Well unless you count all of the accidental pregnancies I've had with girls....(haha). I don't quite get the church choir bit in the middle but its awesome anyway.
4. Crystal Baller- this is a really cool song that I started listening to last summer. I've never really looked at the lyrics until now. First of all, her rhymes the word "ends" with "ends", which is a little weird. But I also realized that it is one of the few happy topics they sing about (sort of), so that's a good thing. Whatever.
3. Faster- this song, on Out of the Vein, reminds me of Liz more than any other 3eb song. I tried to think about what song I'd heard in her presence the most but I couldn't pinpoint it, but this one just tends to remind me of my friend. She always has "You have to steal time from a life that's passing by" as her away message. Also, I've always thought her life moved a little faster than mine, so maybe its symbolic. Maybe I'm thinking into it too much.
2. London- besides being in the movie "Can't Hardly Wait" (which is one of my favorite movies because it is so fucking hilarious) this is a really fun song, despite being about not being able to get over a girl even though she dragged you to London just to make you jealous of her new guy. At least that is what I think its about, it seems obvious but every time I read the lyrics I feel like I'm missing something. I'm half British though, so is there really any doubt that I like this song (on a related note, I will be chilling with my cousin at his sweet apartment in London next month).
1. Motorcycle Drive By- see the explanation above, but also since I've been listening to it here in Europe its been helping me get over some personal issues and made me realize some important facts about my life back home. Yea its a sad song, but its hopeful.
So anyway, I'm thanking God for saving this post when I accidentally closed the screen, and thanking 3eb for playing Rutgersfest. They aren't my favorite band, but they are pretty fun to listen to at the right time. I heard a new album is coming out, but you'd have to talk to Liz about that. I'm not an uber-fan, just a..... casual observer. I like that term. As always readers, be well.
AC
No comments:
Post a Comment