Saturday, April 19, 2008

Homesickness

So I have a theory, and that theory is that I'm getting homesick. The problem with this is I don't really know if I am, I've never been homesick before. I've never really had a problem being away from home, mainly because I never felt solidly at home because I moved as a child a decent amount and went to summer camp every summer for 8 weeks. So I guess I just avoided the attachment that most people make with a home, or a house. My family will be moving in a couple months (assuming we beat the mortgage disaster that is the US economy right now) so I likely won't even be coming back to Summit when I leave the Netherlands. But anyway, I've been feeling a little alone here, and maybe that is a product of me having my own apartment and not really knowing anybody in my building. It isn't a very social place. The only common room is the laundry room, with its whopping one laundry machine and one dryer. There is no common room, no kitchen, no bathroom, because our rooms all have these things. Furthermore, my key only gets me into my very limited hallway, not the rest of the building. They really don't like the idea of us socializing.

But so a lack of seeing my friends and being alone here is starting to get to me a little bit. I spend most of time reading or on the internet, and I've gotten pretty used to entertaining myself. I'm kind of worried that when I get back I'm gonna be really anti-social and my friends will notice. The other possibility is that I'll be really clingy and my friends will hate me. I just don't know what its gonna be like, plus if you add reverse culture shock (which I actually am convinced I might experience, even though I didn't really have culture shock) it won't be a very nice situation.

So here it is, the top 5 things I miss about Rutgers (friends not included because I miss them all and I don't pick favorites).

5. Buccleuch Park
4. The porch
3. Walking back from Douglass Campus fearing for my life
2. The Daily Targum
1. Brower Subs

That was a fairly impromptu list and subject to change, but still I think it is fairly accurate. Anyway, I'm gonna cut this post short. Listen to Rogue Wave because they are awesome, and read anything by Ray Kurzweil because the man is a genius (and probably going to live forever). Also at the request of Rich Bavier, because I am talking to him on aim at the moment, he is number 0 on my top five list. Seeing as 0 has a negative connotation to it as well, I don't think that implies I'm taking sides on friends. My other friends can maybe go in as fractions, but I'm lazy. Be well.

AC

No comments:


Me with Vader, you know, hanging out

Church in Brussels